Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sunny Days


Last week trainer and I rode together. It went well and my rides since then have been fantastic. We have a long way to go but I'm actually fixing some position issues that have kept us from improving. Today I got on first. It was so nice to feel like we had improved over the week instead of just picking up where we left off (or going backwards). She rode after and took him over some cross rails. He was very good 



My friend came to video and we luckily had a break in the rain. It helps so much to see exactly what I'm doing wrong and right. I've gotten into a really bad chair seat. I'm well aware but I can't seem to figure out a trick for fixing it so I just go along with my feet braced in front of me. Cricket found a way that seems to be helping. She says "point your knees down" which is much better than the voice in my head saying "dumbass stop bracing your feet". I don't see the problem going away anytime soon but I feel like I'm making headway for the first time in years. 



My other big issue is crazy arms. I've never had bad hands and there was even a time when I would say I had good hands. I don't know when this crazy arm/hand thing appeared but it's here and it needs to go. 



No lessons and green/problem horses has made me an effective rider without being a pretty rider. And I could be so much more effective if my hands cooperated. I tend to ride Dickie with my hands far too wide and it throws the rest of my body off balance. The second I get my hands together I can feel my stomach muscles engage. My trusty trainer zeroed in this and had been tirelessly reminding me to keep them together. My friend got some video today which helped me realize when I think they are close they are actually still wayyyyy to wide. And when it think I'm touching them I'm really just doing piano hands w my thumbs touching. And apparently I can keep my hands together or bend my elbows. I cannot do both. Sorry Dickie. 


I can't wait to get back in the saddle. Between my lesson and the videos I feel like I can make some real headway. My canter work is a hot mess but I think it will fall together once I tweak a few things. 






11 comments:

  1. I always find my hands are better when I get my elbows under control lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. My elbows are all "whatevs honey badger don't care. Honey badger does whatever the fuck it wants." I'm surprised trainer even let's me ride her horse w elbows like mine.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Can I just point out how unfair it is that your Appy has ten times more tail than my TB? I'm going to go have a pout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shhhhhhh. I don't like to talk about it. I feel like that will jinx me and it will all fall out. It's actually way thinner than it looks. Do you chop yours at the start of winter? I whack my off so the mud doesn't break it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me. Getting mud in it is not an issue. I threw a party the day it hit his hocks.

      Delete
  4. ahha...my Appy has a tail too :) Go Appies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of the sun. our weather sucks! I'm thinking that your problem with your chair seat might be your saddle. you might be fighting it which is causing your stuggle. just 2 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could blame the saddle. Sadly both my dressage and jump put me correct so it's all me. It's every saddle I ride in. I fought thr ainsley and tgood a little. If anything my new saddles make chair seat more work but I still manage to do it.

      Delete
  6. My trainer says the same thing about pointing my knees down! It's such a helpful visual. Also I think weird arm positions are a green horse thing. I've been having to focus really hard to fix mine too LOL! One thing my trainer says that helps me is "heavy elbows, light hands". That's another really helpful visualization for me. :)

    By the way Dickie is looking very Thoroughbred and very handsome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh I like the heavy elbows. I'll have to try that one. I feel like my boobs are partially to blame for thr wide arms. They drag my down and get in thr way.

      Delete
    2. LMAO!!!!! I've blamed my boobs for a lot of things, but not that..... yet hehe. The heavy elbows really does help a lot. Let me know how it goes after your next ride. :D Since the knees down thing works for both of us I'm curious to see if the elbow thing does too. Have you ever noticed how people respond to the same instructions said in different ways? My trainer is the master at rephrasing things until she hits on one that clicks with whoever she's teaching. :)

      Delete