Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Let the good times roll

I love trail riding. I love splashing through the rain. I love jumping logs and wading through creeks. And more than anything I love a good long gallop. That's why I love eventing. You get to take a trail ride as part of the show! 

Dickie and I were both decked out in reflective gear so the wine tasters could see us coming. 

Bre and I have always had access to trails. In Alaska there were miles of trails we could access winter and summer. In Oregon we were on the edge of over a 1,000 acres along the clackamas river. Miles and miles of footing w just the right amount of river sand that allowed us to tear it up rain or shine. Bre's current retirement barn only has a small loop and some polo fields. 

We had a quick warmup in the ring. 


I've missed being outside so much. I just found out that Dickie and I are a short ride away from trails. One of the neighbors backs up to a farm that donated the land for equestrian use. Sunday the weather was lovely so we hit the road. It's about a half mile up the road then a half mile up a private drive. We let the horses trot up the drive (a decent grade hill) and I was shocked that my ho dee dum appy was asking for more at the top. 

He was so good that my friend gave us a ride home. 


Once at my friends house we hooked up to the trail system. Those trails are still a bit soft so we couldn't trot or canter but they are fantastic. The footing will be great once it dries. Lots f hills, a little creek, and even a horse bridge. 

He got to have some yummy grass at my friend's house before heading home. 


And Dickie was a bomb diggety rockstar. He had his moments. He was appalled that there was running water on either side of the rode and decided that a jeep was somehow more terrifying than the giant dump truck. But he kept forging on and even took the lead for a large portion of the ride. He was bold and forward and fun. Other than short jaunts up the road he hasn't been on a trail ride and he was game the whole time. He was such a good boy that we ended while he still had spunk in him. My friend have us a ride home since he was getting a little tired and the hill home is steep. I can't wait to take him again!


3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome and great for you guys to get out of the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds fabulous! I'm glad that you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! Dickie is such a rock star!!!! Lucky dog having trails... *pout* Am I the only one in blog land that only has roads to ride on?? I hope to read more (and see more pictures) of lots more trail rides with Dickie. :D

    ReplyDelete