Monday, February 11, 2013

New pad and goodbye yak hair.....


It has been decided that purple is just Dickie's color. Bre is chestnut so anything on the red side of the color wheel looks terrible on her. I haven't been able to use purple, pink, orange, or red for way too long. That means Dickie is going to be sporting some purple and pink for awhile. Poor boy. Do you have a color? Do you stick to it or do you change it up? When I first got into horses (I was an adult) I had a color and everything had to be in that color. Now I am a little more ADD about it. I tend to change it up but for now purple it is. 

The other contraption in my photo is a measuring stick!! I have tried to measure him with a tape but it doesn't work. One time he is 15hh the next time he is 16.1hh. It takes two people to measure him with the tape but once two people get into his personal space he is waaaaay to excited to keep still. I took it out tonight and he is officially 16.05 hands at the shoulders (maybe 16.1 because getting him to stand up straight is impossible) and 16.1 and some change at the hind. I thought he was a little taller at the rump but he has def grown!! I feel more comfortable on a bigger horse but as long he fills out this is a nice size for me. Bre is just a smidge under 16hh and I feel great on her. She is also a stout mare with well spring ribs. 

Are your horses starting to shed out? Bre is shedding like crazy. She gets a really dense flat coat that stays pretty shiny even in the dead of winter. I always forget how fuzzy she is until she starts shedding. Dickie doesn't have much hair but is starting to drop little bits. He actually stood in the cross ties and let me groom him for a good half hour so I managed to groom out some of his winter coat. 

He has also lost a little bit of weight. I remember how much tinkering I did with Bre's grain when she was young. I like to keep them lean when they are young but I did let him get a little on the porky side because I know they usually drop some weight when they change coats. Youngsters also seem to get porky and pot bellied then grow and get skinny. It's only been two weeks since he was a porker and now he's ribby. He will be happy to get more grain. He loves his strategy. It's almost time for teeth too. Hopefully they don't find anything too exciting in there. I need to keep an eye out for baby teeth. I still have two of Bre's baby teeth somewhere from when she was about four. 


"Look at how still I can't stand in the cross ties. Let all the girls admire how sexy I am."
"Wait never mind, must toss my head and demand TREATS!!" On a more serious note-look at how great his top line is turning out!!


Once again standing still and patient in the cross ties. I thought for sure it would be years before we could enjoy a cross tie grooming session. Now we have had TWO in one week. 
"Lead rope, nom, nom, nom...."

"From the side I look grown up, from the front I am still just a wittle bitty baby."

The girls wanted to get in on the fun. Or maybe have some grain. 

Look at those pretty faces all tucked in. 


12 comments:

  1. Such a cute face! Love the random chicken. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog!! I love the chickens too. I though I would hate them but it is hard to resist their fat little bodies when they beg.

      Delete
  2. I use navy for Shy for the most part. Her show colors are turquoise and purple, but that is just because someone gave me a turquoise and purple mane roll to start.
    Some horses at the barn are shedding, but Shy is holding fast her her hairs. Nothing is coming out!
    Such a handsome fella Dickie is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like purple and turqoise together. I thougth about doing that for Dickie's xcountry color (such a nerd thinking ahead to when he can jump two years from now). When does Shy usually shed? Most of the horses aren't shedding yet. Bre is always early. Even when we were in Alaska she started in January.

      Delete
  3. I love this post and your blog as well! It's so interesting and I just love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. when it comes to colours I have to admit I am a 100% pink girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your helmet!! I have ot know what brand it is. I kind of want to copy you.

      Delete
  5. Ummm. TURQUOISE! Josey looks beautiful in Turquoise.... Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one gorgeous white horse there in the back! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My color is a bright royal blue. :D I want all of his stuff to be that color, but finding the exact shade is difficult so he has blue in all sorts of shades. :D My sister had a chestnut horse and she used red..... I thought it looked fine on her....

    Chrome is not shedding at all! Heck he only got his super woolie coat in about a month ago lol. Up until then he had that fine, silky Arab coat.

    I can't believe Dickie is already 16hh. And only three. You suck LOL! Chrome I guess is stuck at 15.2hh. Sigh. It's okay thought. I'm beginning to realize the benefits of smaller horses. :D

    I think Dickie looks great! It is best to keep them a little thin, but it's so hard to keep them that perfect weight. Good luck with that little balancing act hehehe. I can't wait to see more pictures of him. Oh and I can't wait until I can take Chrome to my old barn... she has a measuring stick. :D Right now I use a 1x2 board and a level. I put the level on his withers and mark the board, then measure the board. :) It works, but it does take two people and is kind of a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dickie was late in getting his winter coat too. I wondered if he would ever get it. It is longer now but still reallly soft. TBs have soft coats too. I LOVE royal blue. It looks good on everyone. It will look great through all of Chromes colors. I did Royal blue on Bre for awhile but ended up just using all blues.

      Chrome will be fine at 15.2. He is going to fill out a ton. Arabs and fresians both have well sprung ribs. My mom has a 14.2h arab and my legs feel the same on him as they do on a narrow TB.

      Delete
    2. That is good to know about Arabs being well sprung hehe. I've never ridden a pure Arab, so I always thought they looked kind of narrow. So long as he fills out enough to take up some leg I will be fine if he stays 15.2hh. Right now though everything from my ankles down hangs below his belly and that drives me crazy LOL! :D

      Chrome's colors for SCA technically are blue and silver, I just haven't collected much stuff in silver yet.

      Delete