Thursday, May 23, 2013

Still A Genius

I haven't talked much about Dickie lately but that isn't becuase something is wrong. He is doing well but there isn't much to report. One of the realities of training a youngster is that things are often boring. Slow and steady wins the race with babies. Each day he is a tiny bit calmer and can pay attention a few seconds longer. We have been going for walks. I really want him to respond quickly to my voice "Whoa" "Walk on" without needing me to pull on the lead. I have worked a little more on long lining too because he doesn't seem confident once I get out of his visual range. I am hoping this will help once my vacation rolls around.

My hope is that with 16 straight days off I will be able ot get him going better under saddle. He is perfectly happy with me getting on and off his back but now he needs to learn how to go when I ask where I ask. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared for this stage of his training. Dickie is an opnionated horse and likes to express his opinion with leaps, rears and bucks. He isn't mean spirited but I am not sure he will realize his old momma doesn't find leaps and bucks entertaining.

It has been hard to get him going because I know things could get a tad exciting. I feel like I need a stretch of time when I can work with him daily. As it stands I can't go out on work days and I have only been off for one or two days in a row. He only takes a few times to really get something down but I haven't wanted to start something I couldn't finish in a few days.

So look out Dickie-vacation is coming so you better get your big pony pants on!!

8 comments:

  1. I hear you! I'm in the same boat as well. Too bad we weren't closer- we could help each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! It would be so nice to have a baby horse buddy. A good ground person is priceless for the first rides. I am sure your steel will be a rock star.

      Delete
  2. Yay for days off and pony play time! You guys will accomplish a ton in that time :)
    I look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whne the last time I had two weeks off was!! I can't wait.

      Delete
  3. I'm so exciting about your vacation!!!

    Chrome is a totally different personality from Dicke, very laid back and mellow, but I was still a bit nervous when I rode him for the first time. As soon as I sat on him though it felt like home and I wasn't scared at all! He is amazing! I hope Dickie feels the same way for you and that he keeps him opinions to himself for a while LOL! You can always throw a spry teenager up there for the first few rides if you want hehe.

    Now I'll wait impatiently for your vacation.... I'm expecting lots of updates and pictures. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been debating on hiring a teen, lol. It seems I don't need a teen though because Dickie isn't quite as exciting as I thought.

      Delete