Saturday, January 11, 2014

Product review: super comfort pads

I have always had problems with foot numbness on long trail rides or during extended two point rides. Another blogger suggested the reflex wide track stirrups so i purchased a pair last year. I quite liked them and used them on several horses. 

Enter broken toe. When Dickie stepped on my foot he only broke the tip of a toe but I had pain all the way into the ball of my foot. I've noticed if I step wrong in thin soles shoes like paddock boots it feels like I'm stepping on a sharp rock only the rock is in my foot. This isn't too much of a problem because I'm a big nerd and wear danskos everywhere due to figure skating induced damage. I have dankso sandles and Mary Janes and many colors of the standard clog. Those things are so thick I could (and have) stepped on nails without noticing. I even have some nerdy thick cork foot bed flip flops for hot days. Nerd alert. 

My biggest problem has come up when riding. When posting or in two point I will randomly hit the wrong spot. It feels like I'm being shocked by a hot wire but in my foot. Sometimes I flinch without even thinking about it. Poor Dickie is doomed w a terrible driver on board. I've been reading up on what my stirrups options might be. I don't want anything bendy because my hips need stability so I was eyeballing super comfort pads in my internet searches. 

I was delighted to see that Frankie had super comfort pads on his saddle. I got on and didn't give it another thought. That was a miracle. It has been since pre foot smash that I have ridden without giving my foot a thought. They felt incredibly stable on my foot. And I rode in a forward seat or two point the whole ride. I went straight from Frankie to Dickie and had forgotten about my foot until we picked up a trot then the electric shot came right back. I ordered a pair of new pads without a second thought when I got home. 

I still think the reflex wide track stirrups are a great option for bad knees, ankles, and foot numbness. I would still be using them were it not for my new trick foot. At least it's on the opposite side if my hip so there's some balance. Even if you have feet of steal and can afford some comfort pads for jumping or cross country do it! They are as sturdy as my metal projump pads but nice and soft. 


2 comments:

  1. One woman at our barn loves these a lot! she has a bad knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven't gotten to ride in them much. Itching to get back in the saddle.

      Delete